HAF, Cal State Long Beach, and Sri Siva Vishnu Temple present Teach India!
Empowering Educators to Better Teach Indian History and Hinduism In Your Neighborhood!
“I felt embarrassed...because the textbooks focused on everything that seemed bad about the culture.” - high school student, age 15
“My teacher told me they heard Hindus can’t interact with people of different social status than them.” -high school student, age 15
“My teacher made a presentation...that made it seem like the caste system was the central part of Hinduism.” -high school student, age 17
How do we bridge this gap in our schools?
Introducing Teach India!
- Combining two nationally-acclaimed programs, Teach India! is a joint effort between the Hindu American Foundation (HAF) and California State University Long Beach (CSULB) to empower educators in MD, DC, and VA to better teach about Indian history and address Hinduism.
- This partnership is the first of its kind in the country and Teach India! offers a comprehensive option for teachers to feel more confident in addressing cultural awareness.
- Led by renowned history educators Tim Keirn and Dave Neumann, as well as HAF education director Murali Balaji, the workshop is designed to help teachers integrate the most up-to-date and accurate information about India and its religious tradition.
- What’s unique is the intense focus on culturally competent teaching approaches, resources and lesson plans that highlight the complexity and diversity of Indian history and religion. With over 500,000 students in DC, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Fairfax and Loudoun counties, we have attracted educators through our partnerships with regional school districts and education organizations.
- The current workshop comprised of high school and middle school teachers will be held August 20-22 at the Sri Siva Vishnu Temple in Lanham, MD, and due to the high demand, we’ve reached our capacity of 15 teachers in less than 10 days!
Want to learn more?